Proper contact lens care is crucial for the health of your eyes. Improper care can lead to infections, vision problems, light sensitivity and other issues. When visiting your Billings eye doctors, you will learn how to insert your contact lenses and how to care for them. These tips can help keep your lenses clean and your eyes healthy.
1. Clean and Lubricate Your Lenses Carefully
Wash and dry your hands with a lint-free towel before inserting your contacts. Be gentle when cleaning and rewetting your lenses. Always use the tips of your fingers – not your fingernails – when handling your contacts.
To clean your lenses:
- Rub your contacts in the palm of your hand with the fingertips of your other hand.
- Rinse the lens with fresh contact solution.
- Soak the lens in fresh solution overnight.
- Repeat this process with the other lens.
Remove your lenses before removing your makeup, and put your lenses in before applying makeup.
2. Change Your Contact Solution Daily
When removing your contact lenses at night, add fresh solution to your contact case. In the morning, remove the used solution after putting your lenses in for the day. Allow your case to dry out during the day.
Don’t reuse or top off your contact solution. Take care to ensure that the tip of the solution bottle doesn’t touch any surface. Keep the lid tightly closed in between uses to avoid contamination.
3. Check with Your Eye Doctor in Billings, MT Before Changing Solution Brands
Before switching contact solution brands, talk to your eye doctor. Not all contact solutions are the same, so unless recommended by your doctor, stick to the same brand and solution.
Mixing solutions or changing brands can cause stinging, irritation or other issues if the ingredients don’t play nice together.
4. Clean and Replace Your Case Regularly
When caring for your contact lenses, don’t neglect your case. It’s important to clean your case regularly and replace it every three months or if it becomes damaged.
- Always use contact lens solution to clean your case. Never use tap water for cleaning.
- Allow the case to air dry before soaking your lenses again.
Bottles of contact solutions typically come with a free lens case. Each time you buy a new bottle of solution, take this opportunity to change your contact case (if you haven’t already).
5. Only Use Contact Solution for Cleaning and Lubrication
When cleaning or rewetting your lenses, only use contact lens solution. Never use tap water, saliva, distilled water or any other solution.
Contact lens solution is sterile, whereas tap water has microorganisms and bacteria that can cause eye infections.
6. Follow a Wearing Schedule
Stick to a strict wearing schedule to prevent infection and other potential issues. Dispose of your contact lenses as recommended by your eye doctor and the manufacturer. Most disposable lenses are designed for two weeks of use, but some brands have longer or shorter wear schedules. Avoid wearing your lenses for longer than the recommended amount of time.
In addition to these tips, it’s important to follow any other recommendations that your eye doctor in Billings, MT may give you. Dedicating a little time to your contact lens care can help keep your eyes healthy.